RSS widget

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

images-2 ss_clickprintsave-300x250-v1 Grocery_125x125hopster-ihpcommon-kindness-ihppublix-digital-coupons

International women's day

I know I'm a couple of days late on the actual day, but I find this fact fascinating and wanted to share (also before reading below, another fact is that Iceland was one of the last countries in the world to grant voting rights to all people):
On Oct. 24, 1975, 90% of Icelandic women went on strike, refusing to do any work at their homes or their jobs. It was the largest demonstration in the nation's history and shut down the entire country. Airports were closed, schools were closed, and hospitals couldn't function. The strike had an immediate and lasting impact. The following year, Iceland's Parliament (now half women) passed a law guaranteeing women equal pay and paid maternity leave. Four years later, Iceland elected the world's first female President. And today, Iceland has the highest gender equality in the world.
ISO: Lindt coupons, Gatorade coupons, Pepsi coupons

Comments

• Wow, but you'd be in Iceland, so....
  • I love the Scandinavian countries. If I was offered citizenship in Iceland, I would move in a heartbeat. It's funny to see the vast contrast in protection of homes of the government heads. In Norway, anyone can go up and literally touch the royal palace- no fences; in Denmark, the gates to the royal property are open during daylight hours and anyone can enter the property; in Sweden, the gate is maybe 2-3 feet high. Contrast that to buckingham in London and the White House in DC, and it's clear how much better the governments are in Scandinavian Europe as compared to other areas in the world. Really the only complaint I've heard is that the Danish queen's husband (who is from an English speaking country) is disliked because they've been married over 50 years and he still refuses to learn Danish- such a huge problem lol.
    I think the steps they have taken as citizens to get equality in a peaceful manner is phenomenal- it's horrifying to me that women who are equally qualified or more qualified are paid less than men And paid maternity leave is rare in a country where social change has been driven by women and where there is supposed to be equality- in the US everyone can thank women for 8 hour work days, outlawed child labor, voting rights for all, EPA standards, and etc.

If the women did the same here, I'm pretty sure the world would stop- they thought the snow in Boston shut down the city?what about a walkout by the women? Lol

Silence is acceptance, so the longer people stay quiet about real injustices, the more it's accepted.
    ISO: Lindt coupons, Gatorade coupons, Pepsi coupons