RSS widget

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

images-2 ss_clickprintsave-300x250-v1 Grocery_125x125hopster-ihppublix-digital-coupons

Question on the cup coffee makers

We are probably going to get my SIL a one cup coffee maker for Mothers Day.  She is a widow and has been working hard to keep a roof over her and her sons heads.  She works at Lowes and apparently can buy the k-cup things at a discount.  My question is does it matter what brand coffee maker we buy for the k-cups to be used?  In other words are the k-cups brand specific for the Keurig (?) or starbucks or whatever brand.  I printed a bunch of those $1.50 starbucks k-cup q's to get her started but I want to make sure if I buy starbucks k-cups they will work with the Kitchenaid or Keurig coffee maker.  Also I have seen something about a k-cup converter type thing where you can use your own coffee, are those brand specific.  Anyone have a one cup maker they can recommend?

Comments

• mytahmytah ✭✭✭

They are universal. I use one of the refillable ones for my daughters coffee every morning.

I got her a Kuerig and it works well. I dont have any exp. with other makers.

Mytah ----- Pensacola, FL
  • brigi2tebrigi2te ✭✭✭

Good to know. I am glad those little cups work with all the machines, that helps with sales.  Thanks Mytah!

• maggimaggi ✭✭✭

brig, so sweet of you to think of getting your SIL a K-cup brewer :)  I have a Mr. Coffee K-Cup single serve brewer.  The Original one I got worked great but it was recalled a year after I got it, I filled out the online form and received a new one.  The new one I received stopped working so I called Mr. Coffee and within a week they sent me a another one; no questions asked.  Just saying that I believe most brewers have a short working life and in my experience Mr. Coffee does a wonderful job standing by their product.  

• I bought my son and daughter a Mr Coffee one.  It is made by Kuerig.  They have had them for over 2 years and have never had a problem.  It was much cheaper than the other brands.  Definitely buy the reusable filter it will save a ton. 

Lehigh Acres
  • I have one  single serve. works w any but I got om.amazon for $8 a filter,works better than regular paper filter.

and use leas coffee,I got my at Kohls for $40! regular $89

• brigi2tebrigi2te ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input guys.  I had no idea Mr. Coffee even made one.  I think my coffee maker I have now is Mr. Coffee.  I am partial to red so I am going to have to search to see if they make a red one, lol.  I know Kitchenaid came out with a single serve in red, most of my counter top appliances are kitchenaid red except for the coffee maker of course.

Maggi I thought it would be nice for her.  She has really struggled a lot since her husband died a few years ago.  He had no life insurance.  We help with groceries.  She mentioned to hubby that she hasn't had a birthday or Christmas present since he passed away.  Her son doesn't have a job so he can't buy it for her.  I know she has been wanting one and I think she would appreciate it. 

• kmills9408kmills9408 ✭✭✭

Im not sure which one you're looking at, but there is a red Kitchenaid that is a single serve but NOT K-cup.

It has a tiny little basket, just like the one on your regular maker but only big enough to hold enough coffee for one cup...doesnt use Kcups.  Just make sure you dont get that one if youre set on one that uses kcups.

Also, the new machine by Starbucks (Verismo) uses a different type of cup/pod not a Kcup.

I have two.  A keurig and a keurig by breville.  I love them both.  They both came with the "my Kcup".  Basically a little plastic cup that takes the place of the pre-made kcups that you can put your own coffee in.  This is less expensive, but I find it messy and also not big enough to put enough coffee in to be strong enough.  

• brigi2tebrigi2te ✭✭✭

I checked consumer reports and they recommend 2.  Both are DeLonghi? Nescafe brand.  Then there are 2 reviews for the one in my price range and both people gave it 2 stars.  I always look at ratings and reviews before I buy things that are high dollar.  The kitchenaid one comes with the reusable coffee filter.  I just looked at it again and I think that is what I am looking at.  I thought it was one of those pod things.  UGH! 

Kmills what is the difference between the 2 you have?

• kmills9408kmills9408 ✭✭✭

The breville was more expensive but there isnt really that big of a difference between them except that the breville is much prettier :)  If I have them side by side, and brew the same type kcup, the breville machine brews a little faster and the coffee is a bit stronger (has something to do with higher millibars of pressure), but both brew a great cup of coffee.

The regular keurig I got at costco for a good price.  Two year warranty (though ive had them over two years and no problems whatsoever), the "my k cup", and a large sample of different k cups included for a great price.  

• brigi2tebrigi2te ✭✭✭

Hmm, I might have to check Sams to see if they have one.  I just want something good for her that I don't have to worry about breaking within a few months.  It would be nice if it came with the kcups but not a big deal if it doesn't.

• maggimaggi ✭✭✭

Maggi I thought it would be nice for her.  She has really struggled a lot since her husband died a few years ago.  He had no life insurance.  We help with groceries.  She mentioned to hubby that she hasn't had a birthday or Christmas present since he passed away.  Her son doesn't have a job so he can't buy it for her.  I know she has been wanting one and I think she would appreciate it. 

-brigi2te

I think it will mean very much to her and be very much appreciated.  As a single mom myself, I know from experience that it's a wonderful surprise when I get an unexpected gift from a family member for Christmas or my birthday.  Actually this is the first year my daughter has asked "what would you like for Mother's day".  She's 17 now and has been working for six months.  I was very touched that she would think to get me something with all she has going on in her life.  My response to her was... "a day off to relax and your bedroom cleaned", to which she replied..."Can't I just buy you something".   lol   Trust me when I say, your SIL is going to love whatever you end up getting her.

• There are two best coffee makers that I have used and don't have problems with K-Cup are Keurig K55 vs K250 Compare yourself !